Saturday, February 03, 2007

.NET=Horrible

I got over the flu after only a day, leaving me in a situation where I am able to stew over how awful .NET is. I wouldn't wish .NET on anybody, and the the Geneva convention surely forbids the cruelty that .NET puts on programmers.

.NET was created by Micro$loth to make programming easier and more consistent. In theory this is fine, but man. My experience with .NET programming with VB .NET was hardly smooth, and Micro$loth wants all new Windoze software to be written with .NET.

All I wanted to do was make a simple program that downloads and displays a .rtf file. So I write the program, and it works flawlessly on my machine. So I start up a very small beta program, and send it to a few people with the installer VB .NET gave me. And of course, Micro$loth won't let you make your own installer.
The first person got it up and running without problem.
All subsueqent testers had crippling problems. In one notable case the person tried installing it, and found his version of .NET was too old (1.1 vs. 2.0). So the installer tried installing .NET 2.0, and of course it failed for whatever reason. After manually installing .NET 2.0, it installed, but the program repetitively crashed.

This is not only my problem. When my dad made my mom's veterinary program in .NET 1.1, he was unable to install the program on the reception computer because of flaws in the installer (He did get it installed by spending a whole morning fiddling with it).

In conclusion, Micro$loth is, frankly, a jerk for forcing developers to use a flawed framework.

No comments: