Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Slackware/Compiling

Ok ok, I admit it. Slackware is cool. That goes for easys, too.

I have to be fair, and I am going to update my last post. easys is easier to use then slackware. Very much so.

easys taught me to no longer fear compiling programs. For the first time, I finally found the pure joy of compiling software. If you havn't experenced the joy of this, I beg of you to download a simple program's source code, like ClamAV, and then do a good old "./configure", then a "make check", then, at last, "make install". Know that sometimes you can use "make uninstall" to remove a program.

No point in doing this all the time if you have access to YAST or yum or apt-get or something, but compiling can make the program highly optimized for your system, and can be quite rewarding.
Keep in mind that apt-get and such can give higher success rates.

Enjoy! Remeber the three steps (not counting unarchiving):
./configure
make check
make install
------------
-To uninstall:
make uninstall

No comments: