Sunday, July 16, 2006

Laptop Replaced

Well, I got my laptop replaced. Works great. Runs Uru: Ages Beyond Myst (the newer URL is http://www.urulive.com) at a very playable speed with ultra overall quality and full anti-aliasing + reflections. AOE III is a little more demanding, and I don't even try to push it very far. Anyway, I'm pretty satisfied with the laptop.

Model: Compaq V3000Z
Price: ~$950
Special Features:
HP Inline finish
Built-in stereo mic

Pros:

(40% faster then comparable Intel Core Duo)



Lots of RAM (1024mb DDR2)
Decently sized HD (80gb)
High-end integrated video card
Wide-screen display

Cons:
Poor Linux compatibility
Low-end Turion 64 X2 (1.6ghz; fastest is 2.4ghz)
10gb of HD is reserved for system restore and QuickPlay
WAAY too much junk pre-installed


Linux Notes:
I haven't tried installing anything yet, but I have run two LiveCDs:
SUSE 10.1 x86 LiveDVD:
Video card picks up GeForce Go 6150 and widescreen display without flaw
Wireless card fails to function
Sound fails to function
Built-in mics fail to function

Kubuntu 6.06 AMD_64 LiveCD:
Uses VESA drivers, complains about nv driver not working when forcing a change.
Wireless card fails to function
Sound works fine
Mics not tested

No comments: