I read this. My opinion: Whoever leads marketing at Micro$oft should get an award.
The deal is that for years (starting '04, I believe), the EU has been prosecuting Micro$oft for not giving out enough information for interoperability purposes. So they've racked up over 350 million dollars, and finally agreed to give out some info (although the EU is still pressing them, and is going to double the fine to over 600 million). So then the marketing geniuses at Micro$oft (I'm getting tired of writing that. Is there an abbreviation?) decide to turn it into good publicity. Not that I'm complaining, of course. It makes OSS developers lives much easier. Nor am I saying that every change they've made for interoperability was because they had to. They may have also gotten pressure from the ISO's decision to use the open ODF format instead of Micro$oft's OpenXML, and decided to just go full out with transparency. I just find it interesting how they turned a defeat into a win.
vnunet.com comments
dailytech.com comments
forbes.com comments
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment